I haven't done a 20x the points event at Shoppers Drug Mart for a while. To me, everything in the store is about 30% over priced, so the program cancels itself out. Well, this was the first 20x the points day since I started this blog so I figured I'd give it a shot. I did quite a bit of planning only to get a little flustered at the store and not follow through completely.
At the cash the cashier, manager and other cashier were adamant that I needed $50 after coupons to get the points. I got home and calculated my receipt and only the free product coupon affected the points balance. So now I know that even if my out of pocket is $1, if the total before tax and coupons i'll $50 I'll get the points.
Some of my deals did not pan out as well as I'd hoped.
- I expected to get a free toothbrush. The cost was $5.49 but the free product coupon only went up to $4.99 so I had to pay the difference.
- My mail in rebate will only cover up to $14.99 on the purchase of a Lysol No-Touch Hand Soap System and it was priced at $15.99 so I have to pay a little extra there.
- The selection of Febreeze sprays didn't have the type I was looking for (the odor eliminator one).
- Lastly, I forgot to buy peanut butter. Thankfully I have a raincheck at Zellers for a cheaper price anyway.
5x Cheerios 1.99*5=$9.952x Lays Chips (we're having people over today) $1.99*2=$3.98
1x SDM Men's Pack $8.99
1x Lysol No-Touch Hand Soap System $15.99-MIR only up to $14.99=1.00
1x Honey Bunches of Oats $2.49 - $1.00 = $1.50
3x Crest Vivid White Toothpaste $1.77*3=$5.31 + 1000 Bonus Points
1x Oral B Vivid White Toothbrush $5.49 - $4.99 =$0.49 free WUB 2 Crest Vivid White toothpastes
3x Febreeze Air Effects $2.99 - $4WUB3 = $4.97
Subtotal after coupons $51.28
"You have saved $35.66" ($10 of coupons, so regular cost of $82.63)
- MIR 14.99*1.13=16.94
- 12200 Points earned worth $15.25 at lowest level rate
Net OOP = $24.78
Savings of $70%
So overally I saved more than the 30% I think they're overpriced, so I should be happy. I think next time knowing for sure that coupons do not affect the $50 total and I've got more coupons on hand I'll be able to get a better deal.
So, today wasn't the perfect day for me, but I am kinda excited for the next 20x the points event now.