Remember how I had spent too much and last week was going to even out the budget? Well, we went to dinner and bought cat food and more restaurants. Unless I can find tiny bags of cat food to use my coupons with the mega bag $$$ seems to be the best deal still. There was no room in the budget for groceries, couponing or deals. To top it all off: we ended up $10 over budget again.
We don't have a newspaper subscription, but this week we started to get flyers from Flyer Source. It's a company that delivers flyers if you don't have a subscription. This lead the way to my first price matching at Walmart! We shopped the stores in one area and price matched for the out of the way stores!
The housework may be slacking this week, but the budget can't anymore. I checked the coupon match ups, flipped through the flyers and came up with a game plan for the week.
- We were invited to dinner at the in-laws Friday night, so we decided to skip rather than postpone restaurant night.
- We would like to start building a buffer for the next Shoppers 20x event.
- We would like to save up for new dry food storage bins for cat food, etc.
Some of my deals didn't work out the way I wanted. I couldn't find products with peelie coupons for the life of me. So, we decided to skip them instead of substituting. I also had a coupon for a new flavour of Nature Valley bars, but we couldn't find them in stores.
So here, instead of my coupon matchups, is what we actually bought, how much we actually paid and which coupons I used.
Stop 1: Shoppers Drug Mart
- 2x Kashi Go Lean cereal. Reg $6.49. Flyer price $3.99. Scanned at $2.99. I let the cashier know I had been undercharged and he was ok with it. Coupon $1.00 off. OOP $3.98. Savings 70%.
Stop 2: Rexall Pharma Plus
- 2x Coke 12 pack. Reg $5.79. Sale 2 for $7.99. Buy one get one free coupon. OOP $5.04. I think the coupon was entered as a $3.99 off instead of a free product so we were charged HST on both, but I didn't argue. Savings 61%.
Stop 3: Walmart
- 2x Dawn dish soap. Reg. $1.99. Sale $1.37. Coupon $1 WUB 2.
- 12x Clover Leaf flavoured tuna. Reg. $1.19. Sale $0.87. Coupon $1 WUB 3.
- 5x Primo Pasta Sauce. Reg. $1.00. Price Match $0.88.
- 1x Chef Boyardee. Reg. $1.59. Price Match $0.99. Coupon $0.30 off.
- 1x Puffs 4 pack double boxes. Regular price we didn't note down but we're guessing it's about $10. Sale $4.98. Coupon $1 off.
- OOP $18.25
- Savings 50%.
Stop 4: Farm Boy
- 1x Bag of oranges $2.99
- 2x bunch of broccoli $0.88 each.
- 1x can of beans $1.29.
- 1x Activia Yogurt $2.99.
- 2x Organic Bartlett pears $1.26 for both
- 1x Sesame bagels $2.79
- 200g Montreal Smoked Meat $3.40
- 1x duck leg $5.25
- Bulk baby carrots $1.08
- White bread $1.50
- Trout fillet $6.90
- 4L Natrel Organic Milk $7.99. Coupon $1.00 off.
- Total sales savings $5.79. Total coupons $1.00.
- OOP $38.02
- Savings 15%.
Total Shopping Trip Figures
- Retail value $107.53
- Total savings from sales, price matches, coupons $42.24
- OOP $65.29
- Total savings 39%
- Weekly budget remaining $25
Anyways, that's how I shop. DH came with me and door to door it took about an hour and a half. Only about $12 of the savings was from coupons and the majority of the savings were from sale prices.
39% doesn't seem very impressive compared to some of the trips we've done. But, this wasn't an extreme couponing stock up on certain items trip. It was just a regular weekly grocery trip.
For us the out of pocket amount was what counted most. We've been going over budget and this week, therefore, we had less to spend. Not only did we pick up the fresh food we'll need for the week, buy some premium items we may not usually purchase and stock up on some products we regularly use, but we still have $25 to spend this week. Seeing as we have everything we need, I'm hoping we stay out of the stores for the rest of the week and carry the surplus forward. We'll see.