Thursday 25 August 2011

My Coupon Binder

I went out to lunch with some of the girls I used to work with and with whom I've remained friends. I complimented a girl on her large purse saying she could fit a coupon binder in there and sadly joked I can only fit a folder in mine. There was a pause, then everyone wanted to see my coupon folder! It hadn't occured to me there would be much interest, but I whipped it out any way.

My coupon folder is a plastic accordian folder I bought at the Dollar Store a few years ago. Every once in a while I reorganize the folder to make couons easier to find on the fly. Right now I have each section grouped by type and sorted alphabetically by brand. My categories are other, entertainment, restaurants, food, cleaning, and health & beauty. Each month or so I go through the coupons to take out those that have expired that I haven't caught yet.

It seems to be working for me. I took DH on a scouting mission to the Dollarama nearby because they now take coupons (yay!). He was worried that it would take forever, but we just scanned the aisles for name brands and when I found one I knew I had a coupon for, I was able to find it easy. He said he was surprised we were so quick because usually I get lost in there and I hadn't gone in with any real plan.

A lot of couponers seem to have a zippered coupon binder. I see the appeal, but I'm not quite at the volume of coupons where I would need that yet. Everything fits in the folder nicely and the folder fits nicely into my normal size purse. This means I can take the coupons with me wherever I go, not just when I'm planning a big haul.

To get started couponing, I would even suggest just throwing loose coupons into your purse. As you get more, you can pick out an organization system that will work for your lifestyle and level of couponing.

No comments:

Post a Comment